Tuesday, September 27, 2011

La Défense

For one of my classes you have to go on little walks around the city.
    I decided to do one at La Défense because it's super close to where I live, and I had no idea what it was. I learned from my stroll that it is a huge commercial center with lots of offices and the most giant mall I have ever been in. 

    La Défense is so sleek and sterile feeling, it made me feel like I had stepped into some dystopian cyber punk movie. Most of the buildings are made out of glass and in the bright sunlight are almost blinding.
 There are lots of modern sculptures all over the place, which adds to the surreal effect.



   There is a huge arch that lines up with the Arc de Triumph, in an attempt to blend the old and new Paris. I am personally more of a fan of the old bit, but seeing such sleek modernity was also nice.
I feel there is a lack of hovercrafts and robots in this scene.
   I also went to the big mall Les Quatres Temps--hoo boy was I overwhelmed! I still can't get over how massive it was, or at least appeared to be. The way the mall is set up makes you feel like you're in a maze! It may have not really been too crazy, but the way the space is used and the flow of shoppers made me feel like it was a place you could get lost in for a day or two. So that's La D. for you, I am exited to have finally gone there, and would advise that if you ever pay a visit that you bring sunglasses and Ariadne's thread to help you out with the mall navigation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment