Saturday, September 10, 2011

And so we went to Spain

  The other important aspect of Basque country is Spain!
So we went there!
But mostly to enjoy the beach...I mean the culture and other important Spanish stuff. 
   I actually really was very interested in the difference between Spanish culture and French culture. The people in Spain seemed to be much more warm and boisterous than the French people we've come across, but that may or may not have been the upcoming rugby/football match. There were bands playing, people laughing and talking loudly, we definitely blended in a bit better than in the sleepy St. Jean de Luz!
    I started out in the ocean--the water was so lovely--I am definitely living by the ocean in the future. After an hour or so I found a group to eat lunch with and then we explored the streets of San Sebastian!
I like this lots
   Also quelle chance! There was a free Chagall exhibit! I hadn't seen very much Chagall aside from a brief reference in Moonstruck and this Weepies song.
I really loved the exhibit!
Surrealism is possibly my most favorite genre of art. 
This is one of my favorites.
   I don't know why I liked it so much, I just love the emotion in the painting and how whimsical and detailed each one was. I really wish I could have had a group analysis of the art--discussions about such things are really much more fun en groupe!
    We then topped off this lovely day by returning to St. Jean de Luz and buying baguette and fromage and eating a nice picnic on the waterfront wall and watching the sun disappear into the waves. Some obviously super cool kids were also having a picnic on the beach below and they had also brought along their guitars and some drums. So not only was that the most perfect picnic scenery-wise but we were also serenaded-- I wished that I could stay like that forever (and make friends with those cool kids). 








1 comment:

  1. Hailey, my darling girl, thank for sharing your wonderful European experiences with us! I am so enjoying reading about the beautiful places you have been and all your exciting experiences. So glad you are having such a great time. We miss you here, but wow, what experiences you are having and memories you are making. Continue to write and enjoy. Love always, your (little bit envious) Aunty Sha.

    ReplyDelete