Sunday, October 2, 2011

Musee Rodin and Les Invalides

  One fine day I had nothing to do class-wise so I went over to see the Musee Rodin and Les Invalides (just incase the title didn't tip you off)! Because I have a student art card I get into most museums for free, which is obviously fantastic! I can't find a lot of people interested in going and seeing the same museums I want to go to, and it's a bummer to join someone else's group who already has plans that are not exactly what you want to do. I've had this sharing of plan-making issue since I was born, it was definitely easier to resolve a difference of opinions in nursery school--let the strongest toddler win!(So this information is just to help flesh out the story of my museum wandering...other than that it's a bit useless). 
I am in love with this...door knocker? door-carving?

  I really love sculpture a lot! I find it absolutely enchanting how life-like artisans can make formerly not-very-exciting objects. Some of my favorites are in the Musee d'Orsay, but they didn't let me take pictures, so I can't show them to you. However, I really like Rodin!
    The one sad thing about sculpture is that it is never as good in a photo as it is in real life. Lots of sculptures I really liked don't really look very good (especially with my amateur photography skills) so I've left them out...but you should check out the Rodin museum in person some time. 
  


 The garden part of the Rodin Museum is so beautiful! 
 Next: Les Invalides!
   Les Invalides is comprised of several buildings: some for old war veterans, the tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte and a whole bunch of other important historical folks, some monuments, and an armory/museum.
   The armory was my favorite part, they have a beautiful armor/weapons display from the middle ages (?) to the present.
 
Proof that unicorns did exist
Poor guy who ended up with this helmet 
Look how tiny those guns are! I want one... 
Now this is a cool helmet.
The tomb de Napoleon.
    There was a really cool electronic/video display of WWII, I was in a hurry and only peeked in, but it looked very well done.
     Afterwards I met up with some of the SAG in a park and spent the rest of the day people watching with them. J'aime Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment