Thursday, September 1, 2011

Brighton bound

      On my way to Brighton I stopped by London to see an old friend. I thought I would just pop by to say hello, but they graciously showed me around London. I love London. You don't even need to plan what to see or where to go, just let your feet take you somewhere and you'll be sure to end up in an interesting place. I especially love people-watching! There are so many different types of people and styles--lovely!
      We went to the Natural History Museum...
    It not only had educational things but some bling:
    We also visited Harrod's--sooo many pretty things to look at! Of course, it is quite over the top--so much excess and luxury...but I must say that although there are children starving in Africa...I really like designer things... Fashion is frivolous, but is such a nice art form! Oh Chanel and Dior *sigh* Although we did not go on any clothing binges, we did get some designer ice cream--YUM!
      I then went on to good ol' Brighton to stay with some more cool cousins! My cousin's band had a gig that night so I got to go and see them:
Please excuse the poor quality--pretend it's artistic?
   The band is called The Swing Ninjas, and they are definitely worth checking out. I don't usually like listening to "jazz" music, but I really enjoyed the more up-beat sunny swing music! Your feet start moving and next thing ya know you're jammin' out with the band.
     ....I think I may actually like jazz now. 
    The band was playing in a really cool pub called The Mesmerist that was decorated like some sort of illusionist/voodoo place--very funky and lively! Because the drinking age in the U.S. is 21(and I don't drink anyway), I have never gone to a pub/club place before, so it was really great to have my first night scene in a nice place instead of some seedy night club, or having some inebriated person vomit on me. 
     There were swing dancers who came from their dancing class to show off their stuff, and I am now definitely wanting to learn how to swing! It looks like so much fun--and a great skill to have! Now all I have to do is go to Soho and trade in my two left feet for some that will not leave my dance partner toeless....
    



No comments:

Post a Comment