Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nuit Blanche


We got back from Normandy pretty early in the evening, so we got a little group of the SAG together and decided to see what Nuit Blanche was all about!
It was crazy! People were all over the place--I've never seen Paris so crowded!
   Nuit Blanche is a sort of modern art festival with displays all around the city of videos, projects, and people partying all over the place. Also, many museums remain open all night long! Unfortunately, the group I was with didn't feel like seeing any museums and wanted to instead to check out the night life, so I don't really know anything about what happened at the museums. However, we did look around at a couple displays around Montmartre.
Warning: I would never recommend going to Montmartre at night...unless you're with a massive group like we were and there's a city-sponsored event there = police and security guards. It's a sketch place.
This display was called "Barbed Salt Lamps" by Sigalit Landau
   The lines were suuper long, so we didn't get to see as many displays as we wanted. It was a nice taster though! 
(if this video doesn't work click here, it's really cool--yay modern art)
   We then climbed the massive staircase to Sacre Coeur, it was really pretty, but sketch. At the top of the stairs we stepped over a girl who had passed out (drinking? drugs?) which was a very rude awakening for me. It was so disconcerting to look at her--she looked about the age of my sister. I don't think I'd be very happy about my little sister passed out period, let alone in a sketch place like Montmartre! Welcome to the city Hailey.
   On the way down from Sacre Coeur we took a quieter staircase than the busy main one, and promptly discovered why it was quieter. Some fruit-loop had poured urine down the entire staircase! There was a group of guys at the top of the staircase, leaning against the railing and laughing at all of the unfortunate people who had to splash their way down those foul stairs--hooligans! It was absolutely disgusting. 
   We made our way over to a candle display, it was so pretty to have all of the flickering candles and then the city below (Sacre Coeur is on a hill). 
"I will keep a light burning" Renaud Auguste-Dormeuil
    After the lights we decided that as fun as it would be to stay out all night long, that not only were we sleepy, it would be far safer to go home before 2 am. So we did. The metro was absolutely packed and so we had to wait awhile, which was fine, but kind of nauseating because the platform across from us looked like this:
...I hope it wasn't blood. I convinced myself that it was just red wine or something, but I couldn't help but wonder. Blegh. 
  We got home super safely and easily, and now I kind of know what Nuit Blanche is. A good night, n'est pas?




No comments:

Post a Comment