Thursday, August 25, 2011

Kenilworth: Day 1

    Today my lovely Kenilworth-dwelling cousins took me to see Warwick (the next town over). The town is beautiful! My cousins thought I was a bit mad, taking pictures of pedestrian things like shops and apartments-- but the architecture is sooo pretty--so English!
       It was a beautiful, sunny day and so we decided to tour Warwick Castle!
        I've been to England a few times with family, but really only remember the last trip which was maybe 5 years ago? So, using my previous castle knowledge, Warwick was very different from other castles I've visited in that it is set up to be almost like a medieval theme park. While this made it a bit corny, it was sweet and really made things more exciting. I think if I'd been a bit younger I would have absolutely loved all of the touristy bits instead of just being amused. The reason it was a bit corny was because they had all sorts of shows with people  "reenacting" battles, hunting with raptors (meaning the bird, not the dinosaur), jousting tournaments, Merlins tower, a princess tower and such. However, to counter the corny-ness there were interesting facts sprinkled throughout the dialogue, but it definitely would be more enchanting for kidlets. 
   I  liked the:

and as I promised my girl friends back home I met someone English and male:
Erm....they had run out of knights in shining armor and poets...so...I got what looked like a black plague victim--but he did have a British accent (according to some having a British accent trumps all other attractive qualities)!
     The castle had been inhabited up 'till the 1930's so the lived in bits were in quite good shape. They had wax figures everywhere and great little information posters. I really liked that they showed how the original owners lived up until the 1930's--the change in decor was pretty incredible!
    We then went to a movie One Day starring Anne Hathaway, which wasn't bad, but I must say the ratings are certainly different in England that the U.S. By that I mean that there seems to be very little concern about nudity and other sorts of things that usually make a film a higher rating in the U.S., well, better luck next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment