Tuesday, November 15, 2011

London Round 2: Last day

  I went with a small group to Kensington Gardens which were right by our hostel. I had forgotten how much I missed English gardens!


  Also, we found the Peter Pan statue!
    Then we went to the grocery store to get our British-goodie fix. I, of course, chose Hobnobs. I also discovered that in Marks and Spencer there is a bakery and that bakery sells scones. If I had discovered this earlier I would have eaten a scone every single meal--so yummy. I was talking to some girls in my group about them and discovered that George Bernard Shaw was indeed correct when he said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." They were thinking of the deep-fried North-American scones which are like Indian fry-bread and not at all a proper English scone. The shape of a British scone is similar to an American biscuit, but tastes a million times better and is usually sweet, not savory. To experience a truly British delight one must have a warm scone with Devonshire cream and strawberry jam with a nice cuppa. It's heavenly. 
   Then to ensure that I went into cardiac arrest, I got a Cornish pasty. It had to be done, you can't go to England and not have one. 
Success. 
     The train ride home was super nice, we took the Eurostar, which was super comfy and like on the way to England, I didn't even notice we were in the tunnel under the channel until we were half-way thorough. I had anticipated something a bit more exciting being under all of that water, but it was like going into any other tunnel. I think they should have glass windows or something so you can say hi as you zoom past all of the fishies. 
    I had been feeling kind of homesick before we went to London, but after going and feeling so at home there, I think I'd be fine for another month or two! I can't believe I only have 15 days left--I haven't even visited the Louvre yet! These next two weeks are going to be jam-packed with things I've procrastinated doing, the largest of these being my studies...that I should be doing right now, actually, I'd better go and do that...

No comments:

Post a Comment