Tuesday, November 15, 2011

London Round 2: The day after that

    The day was a chilly one! However, we headed out bright and early to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.
My view of it.
The invisible man:
Then we went to the Tate Modern.
  I have to say I like the modern art collection at the George Pompidou Center a bit more than the one at the Tate. This was interesting though:

Sunflower seed pile, every seed was hand-painted porcelain. 
and of course I have to show good ol' Mr. Warhol.
   Then I went over:
Not the Tower Bridge, but close enough.
On the other side I saw:
Southwark Cathedral
But my destination was:
The Borough Market!
   The charm of going to a market never gets old, there's always so much to see, smell and, of course, taste. Like I said earlier, it was a chilly day so it was fantastic to get some fresh mint/ginger tea and sausage roll and peruse around.
    Then I went to the British Museum. The last time I went there was when I was eight, however, it's one of those things I remember in fairly good detail.
   One of the things I didn't remember was the Rosetta stone, so that was exciting.

  I think the reason I remember the British Museum so well was by how eye-opening it was. It's the place where I saw my first dead human body:

     Some of the images I saw in that museum were kinda traumatizing for an eight-year old, be careful with children around the Indian statues...some of them if I wasn't trying to be understanding and accepting of other cultures I would definitely rate "x".  However, this time around I wasn't as shocked and actually didn't even go to the Indian statue section, I put if off until the very end of the visit (because I really wanted to see the mummies) and didn't have enough time. I did see this cool hippocamp pendant though. Remind me to use the word hippocamp more often in my vocabulary.
 Then I did some more night walking, remember this place?
  This is a very big high-heel.
    When I returned to the hostel I noticed this poster and had a good inward-chuckle. Delightful.
    The other exciting thing at the hostel was that someone had broken into one of the rooms our group was in and stole: a computer, a backpack, iPod, iTouch, and several headbands. Scary, huh? Luckily the room I was in was left untouched, so that was a relief! Also, our director had been keeping our passports in a safe, so that was very lucky too--I can't begin to imagine the disaster that would have happened if someones passport had been lifted. When the police were called over, they said that the hostel had had about 50 recent police reports about things being stolen there. So I guess the moral of the story is to never take anything valuable to a hostel and to always rent a locker to safe-guard your belongings. I think it's too bad that you can't trust people, it makes me especially sad that in a place with other young people you can't expect them to behave properly and treat others with respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment