Thursday, July 28, 2011

Knysna

The view from one of the Knysna Heads
     Knysna is well known for its furniture, ship-building, and oysters. We did not see any of those industries in action because we mainly did activities in the Knysna Forest, but those are the cool sights to see in Knysna. The town is situated next to a beautiful lagoon which is protected from the sea by two cliffs that are called "the Knysna heads." We stayed in a little town just behind the Knysna heads that I will talk about later called Brenton-on-Sea. The lagoon is so beautiful, we stopped by one morning and shooh (that's a noise that every South African makes that I'd never heard before) it was lovely!
       We drove up one of the heads and walked out to the look-out point and it really was stunning! At the view point there were some Rasta men making gallimotos (cars made from wire) and other wiry creations. The men were super cool and tried to show my little brother how to make a couple things from the wire. They had some really beautiful pieces. This aeroplane was my favorite, and I am so sad that I was too worried about it getting mushed to get it.
         When I had packed for the trip I had never anticipated the wet and cold that we would be in every day! I had packed my favorite shoes (they pretend to be Toms) that have holes in the soles and are super worn on the toes and are about as water-resistant as socks. My wonderful mum generously lent me her fancy-pants hiking shoes but by this time was ready to have them back so we made a stop at: Tekkie Town!
     I got some hip-hoppin' tekkies (sneakers) and was so happy to end the soggy foot dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment